Saturday, January 22, 2011

"The Giver" Released in 2011 or 2012

Have you ever read "The Giver" by Lois Lowry in high school? I do. I read it in 9th grade. I loved it!

Typing in my little GoogleSearch Tab I found a tentative list of movies slated to come out/be created in 2011. I found "The Giver."

If you haven't heard of this book, it is about a 12 year old boy named Jonas who is up next in line to be the futuristic local town job of being the Giver, although first he is the Receiver [of memories],and his journey through this task. The book also won the 1994 Newbery Medal of Honor Award which means its a pretty damn good book.

According to starseeker.com David Yates (who is currently the director of the 5th, 6th, and 7th Harry Potter movies) is set to direct the film. But they do make the point that because of HP the movie will most likely come out next year.

If you wish to see the cast who might be playing in it aka the preliminary cast, go to imdb.com for a free 14 day trial because I refuse to sign up for it. I guarantee they will not quit hassling me about paying to know everything ahead of time when it's not necessary. But for kicks and giggles according to wikipedia.com, Jeff Bridges and Dustin Hoffman might be in the movie. Since it's wikiperdia I suggest you don't get your pants in a bunch...yet.

I believe that this movie could either be AMAZING or AWFUL. So production company, DO NOT RUIN THE BOOK.

The Book :) Courtesy of http://blarghcritic.wordpress.com/2010/05/

6 comments:

  1. I loved this book when I read it in elementary school! I even reread it a few years back. I'm going to have to read it yet again before the movie comes out. David Yates will probably destroy at least a third of the book, but the rest of the movie will make up for it. That's what I have experienced with the Harry Potter films he made. I hope the book isn't destroyed too much though. I look forward to seeing the movie and giving it a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully they won't ruin it like they have ruined MANY movies in the past! The book sounds awesome actually, I will definitely keep it in mind for summer reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this book yet but I defiantly want too. I hope they don't ruin the movie either just because they've ruined so many in the past. I think once school is over i'll have the time to read and enjoy the book =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Giver is one of the first books that really made me love reading. I'm so happy you wrote about it because it really needs more recognition. I think I read it in the 6th grade and I'll never forget it. I have picked it up a few times since because it is so creatively written. It's a nice inspiration for us modern writers who appreciate good twists and original ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not sure how you depict "the capacity to see beyond" visually but maybe it could be done. While I do not love the book or anything, it is one of the few young-adult novels I know of that involves an anti-euthanasia theme, among other themes. It is a creative idea, but, I don't know; some books just pull you under their spell and others don't.

    This is a completely different book, but did you ever read the childrens' story "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane"?Kate DiCamillo is the author, she wrote the Tale of Desperaux among other childrens' books. Four years ago, a friend of mine gave her copy to me--we used to go to a childrens sections in libraries and dig around for good reads--there is good childrens literature out there, you have to look. Anyway, I'm starting write my own blog here,a great book--I plan to do a post on it over at my blog sometime--and there was a movie planned for that. As of now, it looks like that project is dead and I'm glad because the director initially attached is subpar, to put it lightly. Since your up on this kind of thing, I am curious if you heard anything about an "Edward Tulane" movie resurfacing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not read this book, although I have heard a very enthusiastic presentation on it (and the theology in it). Your recommendations make me think that I should add it to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete