Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Notable Horror Novels Made Into Films: Stephen King 1990-Present

Alright everybody. This is my LAST rant on horror movies. I hope you've enjoyed it until now :) Anyway, here it goes.

In 1990, It premiered as a television mini-series that later was formatted into a film. This film project was based off of King's novel by the same name that was published in 1986. In my opinion this is one of the most known novel-into-horror-film created yet. The story is basically about a clown who is really this carniverous creature [I think it is a spider actually] who eats small children and more or less haunts them simulataneously. The group of adults who survive ban together and try to destroy IT. And so there's a brief summary for you. The movie stars Tim Curry as Pennywise the Clown, Tim Reid, John Ritter, Olivia Hussey, and even Seth Green as a little kid! :D Note: I would put a picture up of Pennywise but he freaks me out WAY too much. XD

Now, a year later in 1987 Stephen King came out with Misery. The film came out in 1990 and was directed by Rob Reiner, who also directed Stand by Me, a film that was based off of a novella that was penned by Stephen King which was called The Body in 1982 and the film came out in 1986 starring Wil Wheaton, River Phoenix, Jerry O'Connell, and Corey Haim. Anyway, this is basically about a guy who gets stuck with this crazy woman who seems to want to kill him [you'd have to go to IMDB for all the info]. The film starred James Caan, Kathy Bates as Annie Wilkes the crazy woman in which she won an Academy Award for, and Lauren Bacall.

*Quick Disclaimer: I am aware that Stephen King did indeed write novels that were made into other lesser-known films and even great films such as The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile. Since they are not considered horror, I will probably mention them at another time :) Also, Stephen King has written other books or projects that have been written for television series. Since this is a film blog, it will not be found here. Sorry!*

Now, Dreamcatcher came out in 2003 as a film which starred Morgan Freeman, Jason Lee, Donnie Wahlberg, and Timothy Olyphant and it was also directed by Lawrence Kasdan. I have no idea what this movie is about but according to Wikipedia it is about four friends who have been buddies forever go on a hiking trip and get caught between an insane colonel and an alien invasion. The novel was published in 2001. No word if the book was good or not however according to the picture it is a New York Times Bestseller; but the movie did terrible at the box office and among critics.

This next film I LOVE. It is not too scary but it is incredibly suspenseful and intriguing! Secret Window, Secret Garden was published in a collection called Four Past Midnight as a novella. In 2004 the movie, that of course is based on the novella, starred John Turturro, Maria Bello, and Johnny Depp premiered. The film was directed by David Koepp. Basically it's about this author who kind of goes nutty after he finds his wife cheating on him and they later divorce. I suggest you watch the movie for yourself ;)  By the way, the movie got a 6.5/10 on IMDB. But I still enjoyed it!!!

As we come to a close here, there were two films that came out in 2007 that were based off of King's novels: One being 1408 and the other The Mist. 1408 is basically another haunted motel/hotel story that was published in 1999 and again in 2002. The film starred Samuel L. Jackson, John Cusack, and Mary McCormack. The film was also directed by Swedish director Mikael Hafstrom. I'm pretty sure this movie from what I've heard is that the film was not good. But The Mist did well at least. The Mist was a novella that came out in 1980. And yes, it's an alien story. Thomas Jane, Marcia Gay Harden, Laurie Holden, Samuel Witwer, Toby Jones, Nathan Gamble, Andre Braugher, and Frances Sternhagen star in this film that was directed and written by Frank Darabont, who interestingly enough did write and direct previous King adaptations The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile. Way to go Frankie!

As for future films, all I know is The Stand is supposed to come out in 2013 based on King's novel of the same name that was published in 1978 and again in 1999.

Hope you all enjoyed my horror rant!

5 comments:

  1. Exciting! What is it about Stephen King that makes his novels so popular and adaptable into film? Having not read much of his work I cannot really say but there is a certain formula that works. His characters are accessible and his plots are intriguing but not overly challenging to the reader. Throw in a fair amount of mystical and supernatural but leave it minimal - not too much as to put off some readers but just enough to pique ones interest. Which would make sense why his books are popular and the film versions as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only seen parts of these movies. I would turn them on, get freaked out, and have to change the channel. THe only part of IT that I saw was the clown staring at a child through a manhole. I'm happy you did not put a picture of him up because I'm afraid of him too! Secret Window I also attempted watching, but once again, I chickened out. I always regret watching horror movies; especially The Ring. Wells and televisions will never be the same to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea the Green Mile was written by Stephen King! If I remember correctly, that is the only movie I have seen, from this blog entry. I actually really enjoyed the Green Mile, and although I'm not sure how different it is from the book, I think the actors that were chosen to do the movie did an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I amm in love the Stephen King and his ability to keep the suspense alive throughout a novel and a movie. His ability to capture what goes on in the outside world combined with fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched a good half hour of "IT", I cant even work up the nerve to finish it. This movie made me scared of clowns, not that they werent freakish already. I never saw Secret Window, I want to try to watch that one day, It always looked good. :)

    ReplyDelete